With the inspiration of the Comrades Marathon, there are, no doubt, thousands of KZN women who are just itching to reach a tangible running or walking goal in this year’s Durban SPAR Women’s 10/5km Challenge which takes place this Sunday, June 11.
While online entries for the race are now closed, there is still a chance to enter the race manually on Thursday June 8, Friday June 9 from 10am to 5pm and on Saturday, June 10 from 10am to 3pm at The Coast of Dreams Hall at the Durban Exhibition Centre. No entries will be taken on race day.
The 10km race starts on Sunday, June 11 at 08:00 and the 5km at 09:30 on Masabalala Yengwa Avenue, outside Growthpoint Kings Park Stadium.
Participants and supporters are requested to note the road closuresand parking facilities for the day, and advised to leave home early to arrive well in time to get into their starting positions.
From 02:00am the following roads will be closed:
- Snell Parade between Athlone Drive and the main entrance to Suncoast Casino
- Battery Beach Road
- Masabalala Yengwa Avenue between Smiso Nkwanyana Road and Isaiah Ntshangase Road.
- The South bound lane of Masabalala Yengwa Avenue between Smiso Nkwanyana Road and KE Masinga Road.
- Kingsmead Way
- Eden Gardens Crescent
From 04:00am the following roads will be closed:
- KE Masinga Road (the 2 left lanes) between Eden Gardens Crescent and Masabalala Yengwa Avenue.
- Masabalala Yengwa Avenue between Argyle Road and Smiso Nkwanyana Road
- Somtseu Road at Masabalala Yengwa Avenue
From 06:00am the following roads will be closed:
- The West bound lane of Athlone Drive between Snell Parade and Masabalala Yengwa Avenue
- The off ramp from the M4 (Ruth First Highway) to Athlone Drive (in both directions)
Access to People’s Park and the Durban Country Club:
- Access and egress to the Durban Country Club will be from the M4 (Ruth First Highway)Please note that Isaiah Ntshangase Road will be closed at the entrance to Moses Mabhida Stadium (on Masabalala Yengwa Avenue) and the entrance to Durban Country Club. There will be no through traffic at this intersection.
- Access to People's Park will be via Somtseu Road (Sasol Service Station near the station) and past Durmail using the back gate.
- Access to the free parking on Growthpoint Kings Park fields KP3, 4 and 5 will be via Smiso Nkwanyana Road into Jacko Jackson Drive. Once this area is full access will be limited to emergency and official vehicles only.
- Access to free parking on Growthpoint Kings Park fields KP9 is accessed via Isaiah Ntshangase Road from Umgeni Road only.
- Parking for a fee at Moses Mabhida is accessed via Isaiah Ntshangase Road from Umgeni Road only.
For more info like the Facebook page SPAR Women’s 10/5km Race . #SHEroes #runSPAR031